A place for random thoughts from the life of a follower of Jesus.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Election: Who is the winner?

Well, the election is over, and the newly elected mayors, councillors and trustees are thanking their volunteers and getting ready to take office. Those who formerly held these offices and now find themselves out of their position are pondering what they will do with their lives now.
Congratulations to those newly elected. The people (well, a percentage of them anyway) have put their faith in you. Don't let us down! It's a great responsibility to take on these leadership positions.
I sometimes feel badly for those who find themselves out of their former positions. It brings on a time of introspection: what do I do now? What kind of contribution can I make to my community now? How am I going to pay the bills?
Well, truth be told, I don't feel sorry for all those now out of office. Some of them didn't do much. What did it for me in my local ward was seeing in the Toronto Star a list of the names of those candidates who did not accept money from developers. I based my vote largely on seeing the candidate's name on that list. I'm happy that the one I voted for was elected.
I have to be careful; it's not for me to judge, as I'm not the one out there putting myself on the line for my community. Truth be told, I have had fleeting thoughts about being involved in politics. It's likely that my psyche and ego would not be able to handle the rejection, the wild swings of emotion.
As a follower of Jesus, I'm instructed to respect those in leadership (Romans 13:1-7; read it here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2013:1-7&version=31). Paul instructed Timothy (and thus all followers of Jesus) to pray for all those in authority over us (I Timothy 2:1-2; see it here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy%202:1-2;&version=31;).
Whether you voted or not, pray for those who were elected last night. It's only fair, and you will be blessed. If you want a better councillor/mayor/trustee, pray for the one you've got, and you'll get a better one.
Blessings,
David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home