A place for random thoughts from the life of a follower of Jesus.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Funerals

I sat in on a funeral today. It was an interesting experience. It certainly wasn't the first funeral I've ever attended, nor will it be the last. However, it gave me pause for thought. It brought to mind a verse from the Bible. It's from Ecclesiastes 7:2. Here is how The Message translates it: "You learn more at a funeral than at a feast - after all, that's where we'll end up. We might discover something from it." A funeral reminds us that death is where we will all end up.
I sat and listened to those left behind talk about their mother and grandmother. I had only met this woman once, for a brief moment. But in the hour plus that we heard about her, I felt that I got to know her, at least a little bit.
This thought came to me: how will others speak of me when it comes time for my funeral? I know that funerals are a time for fond memories and often, looking through rose-coloured glasses. But when it really comes down to it, what will people have to say?
Will it be:
I'm glad it's over - life was miserable with him!
or
He loved God and it showed in how he treated everyone - family, friends, strangers. I'm going to miss him!

I know what I'd like prefer it to be. Now that I've figured that out, I guess I have lots of work to do.
Lord, I'm going to need your help - lots of it!

Blessings,
David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home